Position: Scrub Nurse
Qualification: Diploma in Nursing
Experience: 2yr above
Duty hours: 8hr
- The scrub nurse works directly with the surgeon within the sterile field, passing instruments, sponges, and other items needed during the procedure.
- She is the member of the surgical team who prepares and preserves a sterile field in which the operation can take place.
- Duties of scrub nurse-
- Before an operation
- Ensures that the circulating nurse has checked all the equipment needed during the procedure.
- Ensures that the theatre has been cleaned before the trolley is set.
- Prepares the instruments and equipment needed in the operation.
- Prepare your own self by using sterile techniques like scrubbing, gowning and gloving.
- Receives sterile equipment via circulating nurse using sterile technique.
- Performs initial sponges, instruments and needle count, checks with circulating nurses.
- When surgeon arrives after scrubbing
- Provide assistance for gowning and gloving to the surgeon and assistant surgeon as soon as they enter the operation suite
- Assemble the drapes according to use. Start with towel, towel clips, draw sheet and then lap sheet.
- Assist the surgeon in draping the patient aseptically according to routine procedure.
- Place blade on the knife handle using needle holder, assemble suction tip and suction tube.
- Bring mayo stand and back table near the draped patient after draping is completed.
- Secure suction tube and cautery cord with towel clips or Allis.
- Prepares sutures and needles according to use.
- During An Operation
- Maintain sterility throughout the procedure.
- Awareness of the patient’s safety.
- Adhere to the policy regarding sponge/ instruments count/ surgical needles.
- Arrange the instrument on the mayo table and on the back table
- Before the incision begins, provide two sponges on the operative site prior to incision.
- Passes the first knife for the skin to the surgeon with blade facing downward and a hemostat to the assistant surgeon.
- Passes the retractor to the assistant surgeon.
- Watch the field/ procedure and anticipate the surgeon’s needs.
- Pass the instrument in a decisive and positive manner as needed in the procedure.
- Watch out for hand signals to ask for instruments and keep instrument as clean as possible by wiping instrument with moist sponge
- Always remove charred/burned tissue from the cautery tip
- Notify circulating nurses if you need additional instruments as clear as possible.
- Always keep 2 sponges on the field throughout the procedure.
- Save and care for tissue specimens according to the hospital policy
- Remove excess instruments from the sterile field.
- Adhere and maintain sterile technique and watch for any breaks. If any breaks are found then inform immediately to the surgeon.
- End of operation
- Undertake count of sponges and instruments with circulating nurses and correlate with the pre-surgery findings.
- Informs the surgeon regarding the count result.
- Assist the surgeon for suturing the surgical incision.
- Apply the dressing over the surgical site.
- Clears away instrument and equipment
Job Category: Scrub Nurse
Job Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cuttack 753 008 Odisha
Apply for this position
Allowed Type(s): .pdf, .doc, .docx